Saturday 8 November 2008

Jane Austen Quote of the Week 29

This week my quote is from Pride & Prejudice, and it's quite long! It's taken from chapter 42, as Lizzie is about to go on holiday with the Gardiners.

Upon the whole, therefore, she found, what has been sometimes found before, that an event to which she had looked forward with impatient desire, did not in taking place, bring all the satisfaction she had promised herself. It was consequently necessary to name some other period for the commencement of actual felicity; to have some other point on which her wishes and hopes might be fixed, and by again enjoying the pleasure of anticipation, console herself for the present, and prepare for another disappointment.

Ah, dear Lizzie. (And of course Jane once again at her finest. Look at that gorgeous syntax! Read it aloud and you'll see what I mean ...)

'Enjoying the pleasure or anticipation' - I try to live like this because I find there is nothing quite like having something to look forward to, and the further on the horizon, the better. I always enjoy the 'anticipation phase' the best; it never fails.

There's another reason I love Jane - her novels always surprise. Every time I re-read one of her texts, I am constantly finding new truths and beauties and they always re-excite me. Jane never fails. I re-read many novels, and I haven't yet found another author who has given me that level of constant surprise.

Have a great week!

Pic: Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle from: smh

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same, dearest Michelle. Words written 200 years ago bring new feelings into my heart, a new smile, a tear or laughter, every time I read Jane’s books. She is the Greatest!

Indeed, nothing is quite like having something to look forward.
I plan to visit some European countries/ cities next summer, first stop being in London (hoping so much to meet Rachel during my stay and maybe we’ll go together to Chawton) and I’m enjoying this “pleasure of anticipation” exceedingly, every day counted down :-))

Hugs

Icha said...

It's a beautiful quote alright, I agree that Jane's syntax are amazing.

But I don't know... I've learned that if I am too excited about something, I might not be prepared for the worse. So when I am faced with exciting moments, I have to remind myself that it shall be over as well, and things might not turn as good as I want. Not to say that I'm desperate. Just checking the balance to avoid disappointment, I guess...

Rachel said...

I completely empathise with what you mean Icha- its so important to be balanced with the expectations of life; that way you are prepared for any fortune or disappointment that may come your way.
Its amazing how in the course of one novel, Jane's can evoke countless emotions from the human soul.
I cant wait to meet you too Mariana- a visit to Chawton is a must!