Saturday 26 February 2011

Jane Austen Quote - Week 142 - From Linda

In Chapter 14 of Emma we find Emma mentally berating Mr. Elton in a very long paragraph, but in the very next paragraph we find her thoughts turning to Mr. Frank Churchill and marriage in our quote for this week:


"Now, it so happened that in spite of Emma's resolution of never marrying, there was something in the name, in the idea of Mr. Frank Churchill, which always interested her. She had frequently thought - especially since his father's marriage with Miss Taylor - that if she were to marry, he was the very person to suit her in age, character and condition. He seemed by this connection between the families, quite to belong to her. She could not but suppose it to be a match that everybody who knew them must think of. That Mr. and Mrs. Weston did think of it, she was very strongly persuaded; and though not meaning to be induced by him, or by anybody else, to give up a situation which she believed more replete with good than any she could change it for, she had a great curiosity to see him, a decided intention of finding him pleasant, of being liked by him to a certain degree, and a sort of pleasure in the idea of their being coupled in their friends' imaginations."

Please pardon me for dwelling on the subject of ‘marriage’ and the ‘how to do it’ ideas, but when you have been around as long as I have, one does learn a little something. And just as Emma has a tendency to do, I find myself wishing to pass on the bits that I did learn.

The crux of the matter is in those underlined words in the quote. I have previously commented on that subject a year ago in my post HERE. You may wish to read that one again to get the context. There are some books now that cover this topic in detail, so I admonish you all to do your ‘homework’ so as to not make any great mistakes and save yourself a lot of heart aches.

Yrs aff’ly,

Linda the Librarian – who’s been there, done that

Pic: Frank Churchill in BBC TV series of Emma (2009)

1 comment:

Linda Fern said...

Last night after my quote was posted I watched the movie “Nights in Rodanthe”. I was struck by the following admonition by the Mother to her teenage daughter:

There’s another kind of Love.

One that gives you the courage to be better than you are, not less than you are.

One that makes you feel that anything is possible.

I want you to know you can have that.

I want you to hold out for it.

I want you to know that you deserve it.


----------

Those words struck a chord with me and my hope is that others may benefit from them.

Yrs aff’ly,
Linda the Librarian