Thursday 6 October 2011

Jane Austen Quote of the Week 169

I decided on a funny quote this week. One of the characters I always have held with high regard is Mr Bennet for his wit and gentile nature.


This quote is from chapter 3 of Pride and Prejudice when Mrs Bennet and the girls have returned from the ball where Mr Bingley danced with Jane, and Mr Darcy and Elizabeth first set sights on one another.


"Oh! my dear Mr. Bennet,'' as she entered the room, "we have had a most delightful evening, a most excellent ball. I wish you had been there. Jane was so admired, nothing could be like it. Every body said how well she looked; and Mr. Bingley thought her quite beautiful, and danced with her twice. Only think of that my dear; he actually danced with her twice; and she was the only creature in the room that he asked a second time. First of all, he asked Miss Lucas. I was so vexed to see him stand up with her; but, however, he did not admire her at all: indeed, nobody can, you know; and he seemed quite struck with Jane as she was going down the dance. So, he enquired who she was, and got introduced, and asked her for the two next. Then, the two third he danced with Miss King, and the two fourth with Maria Lucas, and the two fifth with Jane again, and the two sixth with Lizzy, and the Boulanger --''

"If he had had any compassion for me,'' cried her husband impatiently, "he would not have danced half so much! For God's sake, say no more of his partners. Oh! that he had sprained his ancle in the first dance!''

What a fantastic father he was!





6 comments:

Nicole said...

*sigh* I just LOVE the BBC series so much! Will always be my fav, even my partner gets into it now ;p after having to witness it soooo many times *lol*

Jeanine (Wayfaring Girl) said...

Ohhh just stumbled upon your site and I am so glad! Umm totally LOVE Becoming Jane movie and all things austen and dickens and bronte and gaskell and well, the classics and all period drama loveliness.

Hopelessly addicted :)

Look forward to reading more from you :)

Jeanine
wayfaringgirl.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

Hi Nicole. I agree with you, the BBC series is definitely the best and cant be beaten in my opinion.

Welcome Jeanine, thank you for your kind comment. I am with you on the loveliness of classics - I also adore North and South and Great Expectations with a passion. Have you seen the new Jane Eyre adaptation? What are your thoughts? I have to admit I didnt like it as much as I wanted too.
Anytime you want to comment or give some input to what you want to see on the site then do make contact. Thanks again.

Icha said...

Hi Ladies,

Speaking of period drama, what do you think of Downton Abbey? It's ITV, but it's been receiving GREAT ratings! And you cannot beat Dame Maggie Smith anywhere! I so am going to order the DVD season 1 from Amazon!

Rachel said...

Hi Icha. Ha, I am in LOVE with Downton Abbey. The second series is being aired on sunday eves here in the UK and it is excellent. It is definitely worth getting your hands on the 1st series if you can. Dame Maggie Smith gets the best lines, hilarious.

Icha said...

LOL! I love that 'what is a weekend' part and the part where she wrestled against a swivel chair. You cannot beat Prof McGonnagal anywhere! (and you can see how the guy who talked to her, whats his name, the guy that played Edward Ferrars in SS 2008, he was like, 'I'm not going to laugh. I'm not going to laugh. I'm not going to laugh. I'm not going to laugh....'

LOL!