Saturday 22 October 2011

Jane Austen Quote of the Week 171 by Linda

I wish to bring your attention once again to James Austen's periodical "The Loiterer" where we find in No. 36 a letter from a Lady named Mary Simple. I will go out on a limb and fanaticize that there is a possibility that it was written by our own dear Jane. She begins her letter thusly:

Dear Sir,

I HAVE always considered a Periodical Work, as a very useful, and necessary publication. For to omit all the amusement it dispenses, and all the morality it contains, I look upon the Author of it as a confidential friend, to whom we Women in particular can entrust our trifling narratives, whose advise we can demand on any occasion, and to whom we may unburden all those little griefs and complaints, which though not sufficiently important to awaken the attention of the public, are yet of too much consequence to be entirely concealed. With this view, Mr. Loiterer, I write to You; and after the recital, though you may not call my situation unhappy, at least you will allow it to be distressing.

Mary goes on to "unburden" her "little grief and complaint" which is entertaining though not earth shattering. To me, the letter sounds so much like our Jane's writing. You may wish to take a moment to read the entire No. 36 of The Loiterer HERE:

Yrs aff'ly,
Linda the Librarian

Pic: The Loiterer, currently being sold in Amazon! Linda, do you want to buy this copy?

3 comments:

Brad Wirz said...

Hey Becoming Jane Fansite!

I just ran across your blog and decided to contact you about my new philanthropic organization called Gone Reading International.

We market a line of gifts for readers and donate 100% of the profits to fund new libraries in the developing world.

FYI, I thought you might appreciate our new “Jane Austen for President” gift collection, which you can view at http://gonereading.com/site/our-gifts-for-readers/jane-austen-gifts/.

Any chance you can mention us in your blog???

I have a document of helpful content I can provide, including photos, product images, a press release and Q&As. Check out our website (www.GoneReading.com) and let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Brad

P.S. In return, I’m more than happy to list you on our “blogs we love” page. Just let me know…

Linda Fern said...

Icha, I am total confusion. I wanted to compare your link to The Loiterer at Amazon to see what all there was currently being offered for The Loiterer. Your particular book is not there. There are some others, but not this one. What happened?

I do have a copy of the Robert Mack edition, but I would like another (or 2) editions of it.

Yrs aff'ly,
Linda the Librarian

Icha said...

Hi Linda, the link works for me. That's weird that you couldn't get it. Perhaps trying once again?