Sunday 22 April 2012

Jane Austen Quote of the Week 190


I have been coughing since late February (!), on and off because of the weather and pollution where I live... so I've been irritating many people, and also am not happy with myself for not recovering quickly. So I can understand what Kitty Bennet would have gone through when her mother - dear old Mrs Bennet, that is - kept scolding her for coughing (Pride and Prejudice, Vol I Chapter 2):

"Don't keep coughing so, Kitty, for heaven's sake! Have a little compassion on my nerves. You tear them to pieces.''

"Kitty has no discretion in her coughs,'' said her father; ``she times them ill.''

"I do not cough for my own amusement,'' replied Kitty fretfully.

Poor girl. I feel her now, for I have been distributing some virus to my friends and partner for some time now...I wonder how she got rid of her cold. She must have, for Mrs Bennet did not scold her forever in PP. I might just need her medicine too now...


Pic: Carey Mulligan as Kitty Bennet of PP 2005


3 comments:

bilbo said...

I hope you are getting medical attention for your 2-month cough, Icha. You shouldn't assume it's just a cold. On a non-preachy note, I was glad to see you use a picture from P&P2005. So many 'Janeite' web sites I've been reading recently seem determined to, at best, ignore that version, which is my favorite.

Rachel said...

Thanks Icha, and sorry for not modulating the other comments sooner.
I agree with Bilbo, you must get the cough checked out.
And its great to see a quote from Kitty. Although the 2005 version was not my favourite I do think Carey Mulligan is a fantastic acress so although Kitty was a relatively small role in the film its nice to see her acknowledged here.

mamma jakeline said...

Oh my dears! I haven't been in to check on you for, like, ever! Hope that cough is better now, Icha!

I've just started working again after nearly a years maternity leave. I'm also slowly finding my way back to writing and other creative stuff.

I might even be back with a new desktop wallpaper of Tom and Jane soon! :)

xoxo/ maria aka jakeline