Sunday 14 October 2012

Jane Austen Quote of the Week 209

James Austen, Jane's brother
I keep finding so much truth and relevancy to today's World in "The Loiterer" - the periodical published by Jane's brother, James Austen, that I can't resist quoting from it.  Especially since I am convinced that Jane, herself, was intimately acquainted with it and its importance.  So this week I will point you to Issue No. 17 where the subtitle is " Modern times vindicated from the charge of Degeneracy."  Here is the first paragraph:
 
 THE shameful degeneracy of modern times, and the visible superiority of preceding ones in point of almost every moral excellence, has been in all ages, and still continues to be a favourite topic for declamation. To consider and (if I am able) to refute the truth of so mortifying an imputation, is the design of my present paper; and though I should prove unsuccessful; yet any attempt to vindicate the honour of the present age, must surely be entitled to its pardon, if not its approbation.
 
I find that the premise is still true today as I recall the many (not just one) conversations with my friends that society has degenerated from the morals of our youth.  We have made note of the differences in many areas of our lives. 
 
Therefore, I highly recommend reading the issue in its entirety to get the complete message.  You can read it here.
 
I will sign off this way:  Hoping all the best for our Future, I remain
 
Yrs aff'ly,
Linda the Librarian

No comments: