Saturday 20 April 2013

Jane Austen Quote of the Week 230

I have recently started a new job and although the following quote does not match how I feel some of the time, it is definitely how I wish to be all of the time.

In chapter 31 of Pride and Prejudice Colonel Fitzwilliam reminds Elizabeth that she has promised to play the piano. She begins to play and after a short time Lady Catherine begins speaking to her nephew. Mr Darcy moves towards the piano and positions himself so he can view Elizabeth playing.  She says:

“You mean to frighten me, Mr. Darcy, by coming in all this state to hear me? But I will not be alarmed though your sister does play so well. There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises with every attempt to intimidate me.”

I wonder whether Jane saw herself in Elizabeth - a courageos, independent woman - or infact she also was insecure at times and had a real desire to be strong with every hint of intimidation.



Pic: Elizabeth Bennet's courage

No comments: