Sunday 15 September 2013

Jane Austen Quote of the Week 246 by Linda

The ITV Mansfield Park 2007 from fanpop.com

For quite a while now I have been thinking about the subject of "families" particularly about how family members should treat each other.  So I checked to see if Jane Austen had anything to say on the subject.  Fortunately, I stumbled onto Lori Smith's blog and web site.  She also has a book I want to read titled "The Jane Austen Guide to Life".  Now that sounds interesting!

Her blog on Jane Austen Quotes has one titled 'Family squabbling'.  That is where I found my Jane Austen Quote from "Mansfield Park", volume 1 chapter 13:
Family squabbling is the greatest evil of all...
The bottom line is that we should treat family members the same way we should treat everyone elso on earth - with kindness, respect, helpfulness and so on.  Well, that thought led me to go see what the Bible has to say on that subject and I landed at Galatians 6:1-2:
1.  Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.
2.  Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
And all that boils down to the old saying "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."  Oh my goodness, I looked that one up in the Bible and found Luke 6:27-38.  Wow, I had quite forgotten all the 'ins and outs' to that simple "do unto others..." but those verses sure spell it all out.  Now, if only we all followed that advice, what a wonderful world it would be!  No wars, etc.!
As Jane would say, "I leave it for you to determine."  I am looking forward to your thoughts on this subject since it is so dear to my heart.
Yrs aff'ly,
Linda the Librarian

No comments: