Sunday 2 February 2014

Jane Austen Quote of the Week 259

Chapter 6 of Northanger Abbey finds Isabella Thorpe and Catherine Morland having a conversation in the early stages of their friendship. They are talking of reading novels such as The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe (who Jane meets with in Becoming Jane). Isabella says:


“Yes, quite sure; for a particular friend of mine, a Miss Andrews, a sweet girl, one of the sweetest creatures in the world, has read every one of them. I wish you knew Miss Andrews, you would be delighted with her. She is netting herself the sweetest cloak you can conceive. I think her as beautiful as an angel, and I am so vexed with the men for not admiring her! I scold them all amazingly about it."
Scold them! Do you scold them for not admiring her?”
“Yes, that I do. There is nothing I would not do for those who are really my friends. I have no notion of loving people by halves; it is not my nature. My attachments are always excessively strong.




I actually could not believe that we have not cited this quote before on the blog. It came into my mind yesterday after a colleague of mine, who has now become a good friend, has left to go on maternity leave. I spoke to her about not losing touch and she made a comment about how she always makes a huge effort for people who she regards as "real" friends - it has been in my mind since so thought it apt to use this quote today. As soon as a big occasion (whether it be negative or positive) strikes in your life, you certainly quickly learn who your true friends are. I never forget that either.


I hope that you are having a great weekend.


Pic Isabella and Catherine

No comments: